Wednesday, April 25, 2018

An Interview With Megan Mackie, Author of "Finder of The Lucky Devil"

I go to a fair number of conventions, and the most recent one I attended was Capricon in Chicago. A smaller sci-fi con, there's always a lot of friendly faces and new (or at least new to me) talent on display. While I was on a lot of panels, and walking through the dealer hall, I shook a fair number of hands, and exchanged more than a few business cards. And one person whose acquaintance I made is author Megan Mackie.

And this is her book!
Since it's always nice to meet fellow authors in the local area, and since it's impossible to have too much press, I thought I'd sit down with Megan and get some basic information out of her for all the fine folks out there who are looking for a genre-blending book that mixes magic, mystery, and some of the most expensive technology her world has to offer.

Question #1: What Is Your Latest Release About?


The Finder of the Lucky Devil is set in an alternate Chicago where magic and technology are in economic competition with each other. We follow Rune Leveau who has a magical Talent for Finding things. She meets a cybernetically augmented corporate spy who wants her to help him find a wanted criminal called Anna Masterson. The problem is Rune IS Anna Masterson. And he’s not taking no for an answer.

2. What Makes It Unique In The Genre(s) It Falls Into?


It is an urban fantasy/cyberpunk book, or cybermagic.

3. How Did You Get Your Start As An Author?


I was a playwright previously, where I learned about characterization, arc and dialogue, then for novel writing, I started describing things more.

4. What Advice Would You Give To Authors Looking To Publish?


Don’t look to someone else to tell you, you are an author. (I couldn't agree with this insight more. Also, to add my own two cents to Megan's, I'd also point out that you shouldn't look to someone else to tell you when you're good enough to get paid.)

5. What Advice Would You Give To Authors Trying To Sell More Books?


Get more than one book out there. Your first book is the hook.

6. What Events Will You Be At Throughout This Coming Year?


ACEN, Windy City Comicon, Mighty Con Chicago, various others, see my Facebook page or join my newsletter to be up to date.

7. Do You Have Any Other Projects You Want To Give A Shout-Out To?


My second book is coming out in June 2018 called The Saint of Liars, the sequel to The Finder of the Lucky Devil.

8. What Is The Biggest Misconception About Writing That You Hate?


That finishing a first draft is impossible. It is if you decide that’s true. Get it done!

9. Do You Have Any Final Words For Readers Out There?


The best way to support Independent authors you like after buying their books are reviews, social media likes, and telling your friends about it. We don’t have big marketing companies helping us so every one of the above things counts a hundred times more to us.

10. Where Can We Buy Your Book(s)?


Amazon, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, Applebooks, Draft2Digital, or me at your local convention!

Also, don't forget that if you want more information about Megan's upcoming projects, and previous releases, check out her author website!

That's all for this week's Business of Writing. If folks enjoyed it, I might expand the number of interviews I do in the future. For more of my work, feel free to check out my Vocal archive, and to keep up on all my latest releases follow me on Facebook, Tumblr, and Twitter. Lastly, if you'd like to help support my work, head over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page, or Buy Me A Ko-Fi! Either way, free books and my gratitude shall be yours!

No comments:

Post a Comment