Wednesday, November 29, 2023

4 Holiday Gifts For The Writer on Your List

The holidays are upon us, and if you have a writer on your list it can sometimes leave you scratching your head about what to get them. While the best present is buying copies of their books as gifts to other people, as well as leaving reviews online (incidentally, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife is still on Amazon, and my dystopian sci-fi thriller Old Soldiers was recently re-released), sometimes you want to get them something special, too.

Not only that, but you don't want it to be more of the usual. After all, most writers would be all too happy to get a pack of journals, a set of personalized ballpoint pens, or other sorts of presents, but that's the kind of thing they might expect... more importantly, it's the sort of thing other folks in their circles might think of.

So what should you get them? Well, I'm not an expert, but if you want a stocking stuffer, or just something they'll actually use down the line on one of their projects, consider some of the following items.

Practical and thoughtful, as well!

Before we get into it this week, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! To be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree!

Lastly, make sure you check out my Vocal archive for several hundred other articles about geek ephemera, weird history, writing, and more!

#1: Bluetooth Keyboard


This is #1 for a reason.

The image of the writer out and about with a laptop is iconic for a reason, but sometimes you don't want to bring your whole rig with you. Either you aren't sure if you're going to be working on something, or you know you aren't going to have a lot of space. But if you have a tablet or phone, and an Internet connection so you can reach your Google docs, then this is an ideal gadget to keep in your jacket pocket.

I have a model just like the Omoton foldable keyboard, and I was testing it recently at Friendsgiving while I was on an editing deadline. It took a bit of getting used to, but it allowed me to make some progress on my most recent TTRPG supplement guide without monopolizing an entire table to myself. One recommendation I might make, if you think someone is going to do more than just type up stories and documents using this keyboard is to go for a full mousepad version like the Geodmaer, which gives you that extra bit of functionality.

#2: A Rubber Ducky


Trust me, I'm going somewhere with this.

This entry might seem like a gag gift, but I'm very serious about this. If you're not familiar with The Rubber Ducky Method, it's something that was created by programmers. In short, you take a rubber ducky, and you walk them through every, single line of code until you've pinpointed the problem, treating them like an outside consultant. Writers can often benefit from the same process... and even if the writer on your list doesn't personally use it, everyone loves a themed rubber ducky!

If you happen to have a lot of writers and programmers on your list, you can even get a rubber duck variety pack, and choose which ones best fit your friends and family. As a final recommendation, consider giving the ducks names and personalities, then writing them on a small card to personalize them to a person's tastes that much more. It's fun, cute, and it's something they're likely to keep on their desk long after the holiday is over.

#3: Pen Holder


Kitschy? Absolutely. But well loved.

There are few weird little gifts that are better loved than a pen holder, in my experience. That is, of course, assuming the writer in your life uses pens, pencils, etc. But there are a variety of these out there, ranging from the typewriter pictured above, to the kneeling knight (my own customized squire that I gave a Warhammer 40K sheen to is Brother Pencival), to a revolver cylinder for those who want a weaponized feel for their accouterments. So you've got choices.

As an additional note, find out if the writer on your list goes to conventions, or regularly hosts book signings. These little accessories can be ideal for adding some details to your table, but if they're going to travel with this gift, make sure it's tough enough to handle a little jostling from time to time.

#4: Gamification of The Craft


Because sometimes work should feel like play.

Story prompts are things we're all intimately familiar with, whether we use them professionally or not. However, tools that turn writing into a game can be a good little exercise for the mind, especially if (as tends to happen) the writer on your list has writer friends that would show up to a game night for something like this.

The Storymatic is one such game, but for those who like things a little more freeform there are also things like Writing Dice which let you roll up a new prompt with a wave of your hand. A little on the lighthearted side, tastes will vary on this one as a gift.

Support The Literary Mercenary


For folks who just want to do their part to help keep me making more content, please subscribe/follow me in these locations:

The Azukail Games YouTube Channel (where I contribute video content)
My Rumble Channel (longer videos that won't show up on YouTube)

And if you happen to have some spare dosh lying around, and you want to be sure my supply doesn't run low, consider become a Patreon patron, or leaving a tip by Buying Me a Ko-Fi!

Like, Follow, and Come Back Again!


That's all for this week's Craft of Writing! For more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, or at My Amazon Author Page where you can find books like my sci-fi dystopian thriller Old Soldiers, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife, or my most recent short story collection The Rejects!
 
And to stay on top of all my latest news and releases, collected once a week, make sure you subscribe to The Literary Mercenary's mailing list

If you'd like to help support my work, then consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi, or heading over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page! Lastly, to keep up with my latest, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now on Pinterest as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment