Wednesday, December 20, 2023

The Hard-Boiled Cat Returns, Just in Time For The Holidays!

It's been a year and a half since three of my novels went out of print due to the death of my previous publisher Eric Flint's Ring of Fire Press. And while it's been a tough time finding a new ship to get onto in these troubled waters, I finally managed to get onboard with Untreed Reads (or Novus Mundi, depending). However, as with a lot of authors who found themselves and their work adrift with the Ring of Fire sinking, my titles were getting a lot of pushback from Amazon. This was namely because Amazon wouldn't recognize that the books had been republished by someone new, and so they were resisting our attempts to get the titles back into circulation.

My dystopian sci fi thriller Old Soldiers made it back into rotation this summer. However, for those who enjoyed my series about a hard-nosed Maine Coon and the trouble he had to deal with (sometimes figuratively, and sometimes literally), my Hard-Boiled Cat series was having a lot of trouble getting back into print. But just in time for the holidays, both Marked Territory and Painted Cats are available again!

As a warning, these books are not for kids despite the lead being a cat.

Before we get into the nitty gritty this week, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Lastly, to be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree!

Lastly, don't forget to check out my Vocal archive for additional fiction, articles, explorations of weird history, and more!

Is It Time For a New Chapter in Leo's Saga?


For those who didn't grab these books before they went out of print, let me catch you up to speed. These are a series of hard-boiled, noir-style crime novels set in modern day New York City... the difference is that it focuses on all the street beasts who call this town their home. From the raccoon mafia, to the squabbling gangs of seagulls, to roughhouse packs of stray dogs, and all the mice, rats, and others just trying to make their way in the world, we see a bit of everyone. And our protagonist is Leo, a hulking Maine Coon who lives in a crate out behind a deli. He tries to keep his nose free of other people's troubles, but sooner or later something always sucks him in.

The books have been called the unholy love child between Watership Down and The Maltese Falcon, for those who are looking for a frame of reference. And if you want a break down of the first book, Alice the Author reviewed it a little while back. So check out her take, like the video, and subscribe to her channel while you're at it!



I've had a couple of fans asking me over the past year and change when they were going to get a new story in Leo's saga. Hell, I've had editors from my publisher ask when they're going to get their hands on a new manuscript. And if I'm honest, I've got at least a couple more novels about Leo (and maybe a couple I'd love to write about Trouble as a spin-off series for those who have read Painted Cats), but when Ring of Fire went under, I just couldn't justify spending all that energy writing a new novel. I had bills to pay, and I'd just lost 3 novels (in addition to never receiving my final royalty check for sales I'd made in the period leading up to the company closing), so I really haven't had Leo on my mind much. I've been pumping out TTRPG supplements, writing a variety of scripts and short fiction for folks, and putting together a lot of audio dramas for the Azukail Games YouTube channel, and I haven't so much as thought about a novel in going on 2 years now.

Now that they're back on the market, though, that may change. And I say may, not will, because as with everything else this is going to come down to you, the readers.

When it comes to which projects I take on these days, a lot of my focus on what's practical. Novels take a long time to write, so even if I started on a new book for Leo right now, it likely wouldn't be available until next Christmas. Between now and then I have a lot of bills to pay, and a writing schedule that is jammed absolutely full of deadlines. Now, I love Leo. I love the world I built for him, and I would love to go back to it... but I can't do that if I can't put any distance between myself the bills clawing at my back pockets.

What I'm Going To Do (And How You Can Help)


For those of you who think that sounds like giving up, rest assured, I'm not going to just sit back and wait for the market to flow my way. I have some plans for things going forward, but I'm going to need all of you to help me turn them into a reality.

First and foremost, I'm going to do my best to big up the signal, and tell folks about Leo's triumphant return! I've got two blogs and a lot of social media channels, and I'm going to do my best to put the word out on all of them. In addition to that I'd like to put together some sample audio dramas to give folks a little teaser for the books, and to get potential readers to check the titles out for themselves. Stuff on par with my latest fantasy audio drama below, which appeared on the Azukail Games YouTube channel.


So if that sounds like something you'd be down for, make sure you subscribe to my Rumble channel The Literary Mercenary, as it will probably be appearing there, at the very least!

I'm also intending on reaching out to as many reviewers as I can. While Alice the Author had glowing things to say about Marked Territory, Rissy Reviews also put in her thoughts over on the video Hard-Boiled Detective Cats???, which you should also check out if you need another take on whether this is a book series for you. However, if you're someone who has read either of these novels (or you're planning on getting your copies soon) please remember to leave a rating and review on Amazon, Goodreads, and anywhere else you can... those things mean a lot, and it's really hard to get the algorithm on your side. One has 12 reviews, the other 18, and you need 50 before the wheels of that machine start turning in your favor.

At the end of the day, I don't need a million sales of these books. It would be nice, but I don't need it. Honestly, I just need them to start getting traction again, and to remind people that Leo and his stories are out there, and if they create a demand then I will do my very best to fulfill that demand as long as readers want more of him.

So if you want to see more of Leo's books, please take a moment to raise your voice, boost the signal, and stay tuned for more!

Support The Literary Mercenary


For folks who just want to do their part to help keep me making more content, please subscribe/follow me in these locations:

The Azukail Games YouTube Channel (where I contribute video content)
My Rumble Channel (longer videos that won't show up on YouTube)

And if you happen to have some spare dosh lying around, and you want to be sure my supply doesn't run low, consider become a Patreon patron, or leaving a tip by Buying Me a Ko-Fi!

Like, Follow, and Come Back Again!


That's all for this week's Business of Writing! For more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, or at My Amazon Author Page where you can find books like my sci-fi dystopian thriller Old Soldiers, my gangland noir thrillers starring Leo the Maine Coon Marked Territory and Painted Cats, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife, or my most recent short story collection The Rejects!
 
And to stay on top of all my latest news and releases, collected once a week, make sure you subscribe to The Literary Mercenary's mailing list

If you'd like to help support my work, then consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi, or heading over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page! Lastly, to keep up with my latest, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now on Pinterest as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment