Thursday, January 18, 2024

More Writing Advice Brought To You By Alice The Author (And Tabletop Mercenary)

Most folks who come to my blog for the Business of Writing topics are here because they've mostly figured out how to write a book, or tell a story, but they don't actually know what the hell to do with it from there. And since we know that words on the page aren't transmogrified into money by the sprinkling of magic fornit dust (nod to all the Stephen King fans who got that reference), we all want to understand the alchemical process that turns our tales into legal tender.

And I like to think that I've covered a lot of aspects of the profession over the years. At the end of the day, though, I'm just one creator. As such, I wanted to big up the signal for someone else who has at least as much (if not more) to share than I do, and who is a very knowledgeable voice on all things writing and publishing.

Her name is Alice Liddell, also known as Lauren Masterson, and you can find her on YouTube at Alice The Author.


Before we get into the nitty gritty this week, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Lastly, to be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree!

Lastly, don't forget to check out my Vocal archive for additional fiction, articles, explorations of weird history, and more!

Good Advice From a Lifelong Professional


For those who haven't come across Alice's work before, at last count she's got over 30 titles in print, with a mix of self and traditional publishing across a variety of genres. From the gothic romance of her latest release Succumb to Darkness, to the fantastical mermaid's tale of Love of The Sea, she's put more words on the market than a lot of us have even practiced with. And her YouTube channel has 236 videos at time of writing that cover everything from editing tricks, to behind-the-scenes on self-publishing topics, to what it really costs to work a convention, to dramatic readings of her books for the enjoyment of the audience!

Yet, despite all of the time, effort, and energy, there's only 177 subscribers on her channel... and given the amount of great information on there, I'd say that anyone who finds what I have to say useful should definitely head over there and subscribe today.



Now, this is the part of the article where I put in my disclaimers. Because Alice is my partner, and that's something I feel folks reading this week's post should know. However, before we were partners, we were authors who worked the same conventions for several years together. I watched her set up her booth, run through her sales pitches, listened to her talk on panels, and give feedback in writers groups. I checked out several of her books, and went through her channel.

And I tell you all of that because I've been recommending Alice's books and videos to people for years. But I didn't want folks to head over to her channel, see my face in some of the setup and convention videos, and wonder why I hadn't mentioned that connection up front!

Also, Check Out Tabletop Mercenary!


While we're on the subject of new ways for folks to get the low-down on what it's like to be a professional in the publishing industry, make sure you check out my new show Tabletop Mercenary, which is featured on both the Azukail Games YouTube channel, as well as on my Rumble channel The Literary Mercenary (along with a bunch of longer-form audio dramas of mine that didn't make it to YouTube).



So if you've been thinking about throwing your hat in the ring as a TTRPG writer and designer, make sure you stop by and check those videos out! Especially since we're still about 1,000 hours away from getting the channel monetized, and we really could use all the help we can get. With that said, a like, subscribe, some comments, and even just sharing the video around on your own socials (or this week's blog post in general) would go a long way toward helping us hit that goal!

Support The Literary Mercenary


For folks who just want to do their part to help keep me making more content, please subscribe/follow me in these locations:

The Azukail Games YouTube Channel (where I contribute video content)
My Rumble Channel (longer videos that won't show up on YouTube)

And if you happen to have some spare dosh lying around, and you want to be sure my supply doesn't run low, consider become a Patreon patron, or leaving a tip by Buying Me a Ko-Fi!

Like, Follow, and Come Back Again!


That's all for this week's Business of Writing! For more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, or at My Amazon Author Page where you can find books like my sci-fi dystopian thriller Old Soldiers, my gangland noir thrillers starring Leo the Maine Coon Marked Territory and Painted Cats, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife, or my most recent short story collection The Rejects!
 
And to stay on top of all my latest news and releases, collected once a week, make sure you subscribe to The Literary Mercenary's mailing list

If you'd like to help support my work, then consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi, or heading over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page! Lastly, to keep up with my latest, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now on Pinterest as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment