Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Cut Unnecessary Words, and Tighten Up Your Writing

The words on the page are like the ingredients in a stew; it's all about the balance they create for the overall flavor. While readers might overlook an occasional crunchy bit of dialogue here, or a congealed lump of exposition there, if you end up using a lot of filler then it's going to make it really obvious how much extra stock is in your book when it comes time to finally dig in.

There's a lot of culprits when it comes to any piece of work, whether it's a short story, a novel, or even an audio drama. And while they might be all right individually, much like adverbs, they can sneak up on you, and bloat your word count.

Don't apologize... just cut!

Before we get into it this week, don't forget to sign up for my weekly newsletter to get all my updates right in your inbox. Also, if you've got a bit of spare cash that you'd like to use to help keep the wheels turning, consider becoming a Patreon patron! To be sure you're following all of my followables, check out my LinkTree!

Lastly, make sure you check out my Vocal archive for several hundred other articles about geek ephemera, weird history, writing, and more!

The Usual Suspects


During my school days my parents divvied up their responsibilities. My father was primarily my math and science tutor, while my mother checked my English homework. One night it was just my father and I at the dinner table while he went over my letters for the night. He pointed out at least half a dozen times I'd used the word that, and told me to remove them because they wasted space, and added nothing to what I was saying.

At the time I was annoyed at the criticism, mostly because I was a middle schooler, and it was already too late in the evening for me to do anything even if my homework was done. With that said, in the years since then, I've recognized the wisdom in this criticism. This word is one of several on my list of filler words I try to eliminate, but as with the italicized example a sentence ago, remember you aren't trying to eliminate the use of entire words; just learning to recognize when they aren't necessary.

Okay? Okay.

So, who's on the Most Wanted list?

We've already mentioned how that tends to creep into our works, but what other culprits do we have to deal with? Well...

- However- This is one I'm particularly bad about. It takes up a lot of space, and it's a favorite for folks who tend to rely on sentence splices when their thoughts are going a mile a minute.

- Though- However's partner in crime, though is a word that's often used to avoid the need to end one sentence, and begin another one.

- Very- For those who remember Dead Poets Society, this is a word we know to side eye. Getting out of the habit of relying on this word by replacing the need for it (very tired becomes exhausted, very pretty becomes stunning, and so on) is the best way to clear it off the page.

- Actually- This one is perfectly fine in dialogue, but most of the time you can kick it from your sentence if it's outside of quotation marks. It shares this distinction with its more polite cousin quite.

- Really- This word can serve a lot of functions, but your story is often better for cutting it out as many times as you can. As with many of the others, this one can lend authenticity to dialogue, but should be spare outside the words and thoughts of your characters.

That's 7 words on the hit list. It doesn't seem like much, does it? Go through something you've written, though, and start eliminating them. Then compare the word count of the manuscript before and after. If you had a short story, you probably managed to cut out two dozen words or more. If you're looking at a novel? You might have just chopped out several thousand words by the time you got rid of every instance you didn't need.

Support The Literary Mercenary


For folks who just want to do their part to help keep me making more content, please subscribe/follow me in these locations:

The Azukail Games YouTube Channel (where I contribute video content)
My Rumble Channel (longer videos that won't show up on YouTube)

And if you happen to have some spare dosh lying around, and you want to be sure my supply doesn't run low, consider become a Patreon patron, or leaving a tip by Buying Me a Ko-Fi!

Also, consider checking out my show Tabletop Mercenary if you've ever thought about becoming a TTRPG creator, but you want a glimpse behind the curtain before you just jump into the deep end.




Like, Follow, and Come Back Again!


That's all for this week's Craft of Writing! For more of my work, check out my Vocal archive, or at My Amazon Author Page where you can find books like my sci-fi dystopian thriller Old Soldiers, the Hardboiled Cat series about a mystery solving Maine Coon in Marked Territory and Painted Cats, my sword and sorcery novel Crier's Knife, or my most recent short story collection The Rejects!
 
And to stay on top of all my latest news and releases, collected once a week, make sure you subscribe to The Literary Mercenary's mailing list

If you'd like to help support my work, then consider Buying Me A Ko-Fi, or heading over to The Literary Mercenary's Patreon page! Lastly, to keep up with my latest, follow me on FacebookTumblrTwitter, and now on Pinterest as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment